When working with paints and colors, it is not unusual to stain your favorite tee or top! Especially if you are wearing white clothing, it might just be a lousy day to stain your clothes! So, if you are wondering whether Acrylic paint comes out of clothes or not, here’s the answer.
Acrylic paint does come out of clothes. You can use a mild detergent or liquid cleaning soap or even some DIY hacks to remove Acrylic stains from clothes.
So, don’t worry, I will help you save your favorite tee! In this article, I will explain some brilliant ways to remove Acrylic stains from clothes that you can easily practice at home. And not to mention, save the bucks you would spend on laundry! So, to have a brief look at the ins and outs of this problem, please read the entire article.
Can You Remove Acrylic Stains From Clothes?
You can remove Acrylic paint from clothes. Acrylics are not always permanent and are easy to remove from clothing. All you need is the right equipment and tools in hand!
It is a widespread concern among painters whether you can remove Acrylic stains from fabrics or different surfaces. Kids can be very reckless during painting and often end up staining their clothes with lots of paint. It is quite exhausting for any parent!
Also, not just kids, even adults, can end up ruining their clothes. Most commonly, this happens when you are working on a more oversized frame. So, the question is can you remove this stain? Of course, you can!
Basically, Acrylic have an inorganic water base that doesn’t firmly adhere to any fabric. They can easily dissolve and remove quickly on a wash. Actually, oil-based colors are hard to remove from clothes. They can form stronger bonds with the fabric molecules and often leave out permanent stains. Of course, it depends largely on the material of your clothing.
However, there are two sorts of Acrylic usually available. One is the removable one which doesn’t leave out any permanent stain. In fact, these kinds of paint can get activated again if you want to blend your colors more in the future.
On the other hand, the other kind of Acrylic are less removable and often leave out stubborn stains. These kinds of paints usually do not get activated when mixed with water again and dry quickly. If you want to make changes to your work in the future, it might be a tough call to make!
Nevertheless, most renowned Acrylic brands are less stubborn and can be removed easily. You don’t have to worry about losing your beloved top!
Some Ways To Remove Acrylic Paint From Clothes
Acrylic are the most obsessed painting item for any artist! But if it is ruining your clothes, it can be a bit troublesome. It might be hard to be careful all the time, especially when you are deeply lost in your artwork.
Here, I will explain some ways to remove Acrylic stains from fabrics. So, read the next part to know in detail! But before that, let’s get to know what are the things you will need:
- A butter knife or a blunt knife
- A bucket full of hot water
- Mild detergent soap
- Fabric cleansers
- A dishwashing sponge
- A toothbrush etc.
Now, let’s start with the main procedure. Make sure you have collected all the items in hand. Then do the following-
- Whenever you splatter paint on your clothes, always try to start the removal process as soon as possible. When the paint dries up, it may be a lot harder to remove.
- Take a butter knife that is not too sharp. Now, try to scrape off the paint from the affected area as much as you can. In this step, you may end up spreading paint to other areas outside the affected part. It may not be charming in the case of white items of clothing! So, be a bit more careful and don’t spread the paint too far.
- Now, take a bucket full of lukewarm or hot water, as much desirable as your fabric can handle. Next, dip your cloth in this bucket and leave for about 15 to 30 minutes. However, it would be best if you did not dip your clothes in boiling hot water, or it would badly damage the fabric.
- Sometimes, there are washing directions in clothes that have special preferences. Some clothes may be sensitive to regular washing and may require dry washing only. Or some fabrics may not tolerate hot water at all. So, always look out for these references beforehand.
- Next, take a bucket full of water and add about two teaspoonfuls of detergent or fabric cleanser, whichever suits you best. Then mix it well. But of course, you must check the washing preferences of your clothes before this.
- Take a sponge and dip it in this mixture. Soak the sponge thoroughly. Now, dab the sponge over the affected area of your clothing a few times. Take the toothbrush and work over the paint. Then wash under tap water.
- Repeat this until the paint comes off totally. In this way, after some time, you will see the paint has been removed completely! Tada! Your favorite tee is as good as new now!
Some More DIY Methods To Get Acrylic Off Of Clothes
DIY methods are getting so popular these days especially because of YouTube videos! A lot of these are really helpful and come to great use when you have nothing within your arm’s reach!
So, now I would like to share some really cool hacks for removing Acrylic paint from clothes. These are easy to perform and can be done with the items lying around in your kitchen!
Hack 1: Lemon Juice And Salt
It may sound crazy, but lemon juice can work really well on painting stains. After scraping off the excess paint from your clothes with a knife, apply some lemon juice over it. Then apply table salt on this. Use a brush to work on it. Now, dip this entire clothing in detergent mixed water. Let it soak for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, take the clothing out. Work from the inner surface and scrub on the affected area repeatedly. Then rinse it well under flowing tap water. The stain will go away completely, leaving you with clean fabric! If it doesn’t remove easily, you can also try adding some bleach with lemon juice and salt over the area. It will surely do the magic!
Hack 2: White Vinegar And Baking Soda
Take half a cup of white vinegar and add two tablespoonfuls of baking soda in it. Mix this well. It can produce a frothy mixture sometimes. Now, take a sponge and soak it completely in this mixture. Then dab this sponge over the affected area. Scrub it as rough as you can from the inside of your cloth.
Now, rinse it well. This mixture is so potent that it can remove any paint stain. But if the paint is of darker shades, try to repeat this process at least four times. It will definitely work!
Hack 3: Using Alcohol Rather Than Soap
You can also use alcohol instead of detergent or soap. Pour in a little amount of alcohol on the painting stain and then, using a toothbrush, work on the stain gently. It works in minutes!
Then rinse your clothing in warm water and see the stain go away completely! But if it is a giant stain, try to use a washing machine. However, for vulnerable fabrics, always check the washing preferences.
It won’t be fair to lose your favorite piece of clothing to Acrylic! Worry not; Acrylic paint is easy to remove and can hardly damage your clothes. So, if you have stained your best-loved top, don’t be disheartened! This stain won’t stay forever because now you know Acrylic paint come out of clothes.
In this article, I tried to explain all the relevant facts about removing Acrylic paint from clothes. I hope this article helped you to know about this in detail. Thank you for reading the entire article with patience. Have fun coloring!